riding with usfind out about our ride rules, our departure points and where we hold our meetings...
our ride rules...
So each ride operates without confusion, there are a few points that all participants should note:
- Rides are held regardless of the weather
- Your bike must be roadworthy
- You must have a full tank of petrol at the start
- You participate in all club events at your own risk. Do not try to ride beyond your capability. Ultimately it is you who must assess the road conditions and ride accordingly.
- There are opportunities to buy food and drink during the ride and normally the lunch stop will be at a place that offers reasonably priced meals or takeaways.
Lead and Rear rider system operates as follows:
- The lead rider plans and leads the ride
- The rear rider is selected at the main meeting point
- No-one falls behind the rear rider and no-one passes the lead rider (unless previously arranged)
- Do not feel pressured to travel faster than you want to—the rear rider understands this!
- When we reach an intersection where it is not obvious which way to go, the lead rider points to the person directly behind and that person remains on the corner indicating the way until the rear rider catches up
- Where no-one is on the corner, assume you follow the MAIN road straight ahead
This system usually ensures that no-one gets lost or if they are in trouble, assistance can be given.
Note that MMT rides may travel along toll roads, particularly between our usual Sth Yarra departure point and the second pick-up point, to allow the fastest route out of the city and maximise the time spent enjoying riding in the countryside. If you do not wish to travel on a toll road, please consider making your own way to join the ride at the second pick-up point where available.
our meeting places
We depart from either an inner city location with a second meeting place near to the outskirts of the city or lately we have just been meeting up at one of our outer city meeting places. Be sure to check the event listing near to its departure time to work out where we’re meeting for each event.
Our current inner city meeting places include Code Black Coffee, 119 Howard St, North Melbourne VIC 3051 and Oxford Larder 18 Peel St, Collingwood VIC 3066. See the maps below:
Depending on the route, we may have a second pickup point, often at Lilydale (outside the Olinda Creek Hotel), Laverton (Shell Servo that is just off the Freeway near the Laverton Exit), Frankston (Shell Servo on the corner of Nepean Highway and Beach St in Frankston), Aircraft
See maps below for the usual second departure and pickup points.
We leave from out the front of the Olinda Creek Hotel in Lilydale – see map below!
We leave from the Shell Servo on the corner of Beach St & Nepean Hwy in Frankston – see map below!
We leave from the Shell Servo that is on the left as you leave Sunbury – see map below!
We leave from the Shell Servo that is just off the Freeway near the Laverton Exit – see map below!
Aircraft Viewing Area, Sunbury:
We leave from the Aircraft Viewing Area in Sunbury (1 Sunbury Road) – see map below!
Contact us about the departure/meeting details for upcoming rides and events.
Melbourne Motorcycle Tourers is an active club that holds regular club meetings, club rides (ranging from short rides around the suburbs to ten day interstate tours), and other social events.
We meet on the second Tuesday of each month for dinner and a drink. It is at these informal meetings that all the business of the club is done. You are welcome to turn up to these meetings if you wish to find out more about the club.
MEETING VENUE: We hold meetings at the Royal Standard Hotel, 333 William St West Melbourne. Although the meeting officially kicks off from 7:30pm, we encourage everyone to come early and enjoy a meal and a drink before the meeting.
The Royal Standard has quite a good menu and very reasonable prices (a very important budgetary consideration for those of us battling with the costs of servicing a mortgage or, worse still, an Italian motorcycle!)